Fedora Install Using DVD and HTTP

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 10 16:44:27 UTC 2008

Tod wrote:
> I have a web server with a DVD drive, and a server with only a CD ROM
> drive.  How can I install fedora on the server over the network using
> HTTP?  I've searched around but haven't found a method that matches my
> particular situation.  Any ideas?
>

> Thanks.

Do you have SE Linux running in the enforcing mode? If so it makes
things a bit harder. You have to remount the DVD with the
context=system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 option before you
can serve it using your WEB browser.

What I did is loop mount the DVD image, and did not bother to burn a
DVD. I used /var/www/html/Fedora as my mount point. Then when I was
doing the install, I let the installer configure the network, and
told it to use http://192.168.1.9/Fedora to install from. You can
ether boot from the boot CD for this, or boot from a USB drive. I
like using the USB drive because I don't end up with so many CD's
for installing old versions. You will have to change 192.168.1.9 to
the IP address of your web server.

Mikkel