F9, F8 periodicially hanging upon user login, dbus zombie process, etc.

Cameron Mura seemura at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 19:05:59 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem on both F8 and F9 (mostly playing on F9 now)
that I can't seem to get to the bottom of: In several different
instances of vanilla installations of both F8 and F9 on Dell
workstations (Precision 490, T3400, etc.), I find that the machine works
fine for about 1 day, then -- the next day -- hangs at a black screen
when a user tries to login. This is with both i386 and x86_64 installs.

Gnome is the default disp. manager, and if I remotely access the machine
(ssh as root) while it's in this frozen state, I see that dbus-launch
(user 'gdm') has fallen into a zombie state.  Re-booting solves the
problem, but then it arises again the next day.  I should mention that
the regular (non-root) user accounts are set-up via NIS/NFS. (I ran
across some things online regarding problems with pulseaudio and nfs
users, but this doesn't seem to be it.).   Other suspicious behavior
that seems to (maybe) be correlated is that launching into a bash shell
(for, say, a tcsh-based user) results in a stream of infinite /dev/null
errors (don't have the exact output string in front of me, but can
provide that later if helpful)... This can be interrupted (ctrl-c) to
yield the shell.  Further inspection shows that the perms on /dev/null
are only rw for root (not 0666 or whatever they ought to be...?).  I
don't know if these two things (1: login screen locking/zombie process
2: screwy /dev/null perms) are related.

I'm wondering if anyone's seen anything like this, or might have some
idea as to what's causing it? If so, please let me know, or feel free to
redirect me to any info about this online (I've spent many hours
google'ing for it, tweaking config files, applying different sets of
updates, etc...).

Thanks for any help,
Cameron

PS. This is also at
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1061369 . Any help / tips
/ advice would be most gratefully appreciated.