Kde on F9 -died - Restore solved

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Sun Aug 10 22:42:47 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 16:53 -0500, Bob Hartung wrote:
>> Hi all - having trouble with KDE on F9.  While adjusting the background
>> the desktop disappeared.  I am left with a black screen and a white
>> cursor arrow - no desktop.
>>
>>    Tried ./kde/share/config/plasma* but this did not reset things.  I do
>> not find the information on the kde.org web site, but then again I may
>> not be looking in 'all the right places'.
>>
>>    Hints before I rpm -e all of kde and start over?
> ----
> I wouldn't recommend the 'rpm -e kde*' kind of approach at all.
>
> At worst, you can move your kde settings...
>
> Try killing X first...
> <Control><Alt><Backspace>
>
> and then login again
>
> If problem persists...Kill X again per above and then go to a virtual
> console,
> <Control><Alt><F1>
> Then login to virtual console as user and execute
> mv ~/.kde .kde-bak
> Then return to GUI login
> <Control><Alt><F7>
> and you should be functional.
>
> You may want to restore some settings from ~/.kde-bak afterwards
>
> Craig

Craig,

Perfect.  I had never approached this in the manner you suggested.  As I
had just installed F9 and updated everything, there really wasn't any
thing to save.

   Am I correct that if the .kde directory does not exist in
/home/whatever-user that kde will start up in a default configuration?

Thanks for your help.

Bob