Ogg & Totem kill X

Steve Dowe steve at onecool.com
Tue Aug 12 07:15:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have F9 with Totem and VLC installed.  When I try to watch an ogg
video from Red Hat's web site in Totem, the screen goes blank and I can
hear my hard disk head park.  I can't recover X from this - I have to
hard reset the machine and boot back into the desktop.  When I try the
same video in VLC, VLC just dies immediately (but at least it doesn't
bring the system down too).

I've searched for log entries relating to this error, but there seem to
be none.

So... my question is, does video require DRI to be enabled in X?  I had
to disable DRI in my xorg.conf because it was making X hang in certain
situations.  Here's my xorg.conf for reference:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option        "DRI" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Any ideas, suggestions, etc appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve