F8 vs F9

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 14:50:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:05 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> I need to install a few new systems in the next
> few weeks.  My requirements are: apache; C++ code
> development; netfilter; KDE; openvpn; and above
> all, stability.  I have heard a rumor that I might
> be better off with F8 than F9.  Is this true?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

If you have ATI, F8 is the only way to go.  F9 is not good for ATI
cards, the ati drivers won't support any x server greater than 1.4.2.
KDE4 really is a disaster so far, it looks like a dumbed down gnome.  F8
features the last mature version of kde, which is 3.5, and it's pretty
robust.

There's other things, but yeah, F8 is a sweet spot.

LX