Ubuntu v Fedora on an Inspiron

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:02:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 07:32 -0500, jeffrey.berger at mac.com wrote:
> [was Re: burning iso image on a Mac]
>
> I'm just starting to play around with Linux. A couple of days ago, I
> installed Ubuntu on my Inspiron 7500. When I switch from one
> application to another by clicking (say) on a Firefox window when Help
> is in the foreground, it takes many seconds before the newly selected
> application is available and the screen properly refreshed. I'm
> planning on installing Fedora. Is it likely to be any faster?

You're still top-posting. Please don't do that. It annoys a lot of
people on mailing lists including this one.

I doubt the problem you're seeing is related to Ubuntu specifically.
It's more likely a configuration problem e.g. with the X drivers, or
perhaps you're using Compiz and your video hardware isn't up to it. Or
maybe you have a slow machine with only a small amount of RAM.

You may have luck with Fedora, not because of the system but because the
default X setup happens to be different. If not, you'll still need to
tweak it.

poc