F8 vs F9

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 15:18:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:25:31 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> I need to install a few new systems in the next few weeks.  My
>> requirements are: apache; C++ code development; netfilter; KDE;
>> openvpn; and above all, stability.  I have heard a rumor that I might
>> be better off with F8 than F9.  Is this true?
>
> The answer is either "yes", "no", or "maybe".  And you get 10 points for
> asking one of the silliest questions I've seen asked her in quite some
> time.

A long time ago I worked for a very large company whose name
you would recognize and for those who have worked there, whose
name commands respect.  I worked in assembly language on control
systems whose failure could rapidly cost dollars counted in
millions, and potentially be quite dangerous to human life.  On
their control systems, the only operating systems they allowed
were long obsolete, and very well understood.  The idea that
perhaps one should upgrade to the latest system would be met with
an incredulous stare.  (I remember once entering my boss's office
with the question: "Is anything interesting happening?".  He
responded: "God, I hope not!".)

To the others respondents:  Thanks for your helpful comments.
I'll wait for more, especially on KDE and maybe openvpn.
(But, then, my present web server has no GUI at all.)

Mike.