F8 vs F9

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:39:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:05 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> I need to install a few new systems in the next
> few weeks.  My requirements are: apache; C++ code
> development; netfilter; KDE; openvpn; and above
> all, stability.  I have heard a rumor that I might
> be better off with F8 than F9.  Is this true?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

You're asking a rather difficult question to answer.
If you're looking for rock-solid stability, you shouldn't be using
Fedora - you should look at getting an RHEL subscription (CentOS if you
do not require 24x7 support)
However, if you require stability - but can live with breakage from time
to time, I'd use F8 and skip F9.
F9/KDE 4.1 is far better than F9/KDE 4.0, but still cannot compete (both
feature-wise and stability-wise) with F8/KDE 3.5.9.

-However-, I'm using F9 - for a very simple reason:
If I/we won't test F9/KDE 4.1 -now-, the bugs won't get detected and
fixed by F10/KDE 4.2.
Short term discomfort for long term stability.

Oh, F9 includes a new GCC (4.3) that created some breakage (at least on
my own software) - but the new errors/warning did help us clear up some
bugs - so again, short term, etc, etc.

- Gilboa