How secure is Fedora without SELinux ?

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Aug 13 13:00:12 UTC 2008

How secure is a current Fedora (9) system without SELinux? Of course it
is less secure than the same system with SELinux enabled, but is it
still at the same level of security as any other Linux distribution that
doesn't come with SELinux enabled? or are there packages that depend on
SELinux for their security, eg services that run as root on Fedora in
stead of as an unpriviledged user, assuming that SELinux takes care of
limiting root to what the service is supposed to do?

(my actual problem was a machine running a web- and mailserver with lots
of software that doesn't come from Fedora repositories, eg Joomla and
other web applications, where I haven't managed to figure out how to
make those things work together with SELinux)

David Jansen