help on installing fedora 9 on external disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 13 13:20:05 UTC 2008

g wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> <snip>
>> The advantages to this are that you do not touch the built in drive,
>> and you can plug the USB drive into another computer and boot from
>> it. That way, you can take your Linux drive with you and run it on
>> most other computers.
>
> if hardware compatibility is close enough. like graphics card, monitor,
> nic, hard drives, partitions.

Hard drives are not a factor, unless you are auto-mounting your
Windows drive. Remember, with a USB boot, your USB drive is going to
be the first BIOS drive. With a properly configured initrd, it is
also going to be /dev/sda. (Only the USB storage drivers for disk
drivers.) If you are using UUIDs, even that is not going to matter.

Surprising enough, graphics card and monitor are not usually a
problem. I have used the same drive with NVIDA and ATI cards, and it
adapts on boot. The monitor is normally auto-detected, unless it
identifies itself with the wrong specs.

As far as the NIC goes, as long as you do not specify the MAC
address in the config file, and do not put an alias in
modprobe.conf, the system will usually load the correct module. The
main problem is systems with static IP addresses.

Wireless NICs can be a problem, and you are going to have to
configure them correctly for the location anyway.

But with the exception of the network connection, you can have a
usable Linux system on boot. With a wired LAN connection, and a
supported NIC, even that will probably be automatic.

Mikkel