Fixing or removing NetworkManager ??

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:13:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:

> ifcfg-eth0:
> # nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
> ONBOOT=yes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
> #DNS1=192.168.1.1

Number 1 problem...... NM_CONTROLLED=no   informs NM to hide this device
completely. NM will not even show this in its applet interface as being
active.  This was added specifically so that NM would not get in the way of
people who feel they need to use the legacy network script stack.
system-config-network if used to edit a device's config defaults to setting
this to no via a radio button selection. The idea being..if you use
s-c-network to change the config, then normally you want NM to ignore the
device so your configs will work.  At some point s-c-network will go away
when NM is feature complete and we'll have less confusion for the average
desktop/laptop home system userbase.  We may even think about not including
s-c-network by default in F10..but have it available in the repo...if NM's
static address support is good enough in F10. Not my call, but something
worth thinking about.

So what you need to do is change that to NM_CONTROLLED=yes
stop the legacy network service (keep it from starting at boot too)
start the NetworkManager service (make sure its starting at boot too)

That should be enough to at least make NM's applet appear to function
correctly.
If there is still a problem... I need to look at your /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf files and possible the output of route.

-jef