Fedora Core 9

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 17:50:58 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 8/13/08, Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com> wrote:

> From: Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com>
> Subject: Re: Fedora Core 9
> To: jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com, "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
> Around 05:24pm on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 (UK time),
> James McManus scrawled:
>
> > issues, related to the upgrade.  However, today I did
> an additional
> > upgrade of 7 packages including the kernal. When I
> rebooted my system,
> > it got to grub and then began beeping, and stalled out
> there.  I have
> > attempting to use the rescue OS, but need to find more
> information on
> > this problem. I suspect it has something to do with
> the new kernal. Is
> > anybody familiar with this problem?
>
> No.  But what happens if you select the previous kernel in
> the grub
> menu?
>
> Steve
>
> --
>
> A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally
> read text.
> Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?
>
>  17:39:54 up 5 days,  3:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.00,
> 0.28, 0.84

Steve,

I do not get the grub menu. It stalls out just before. Because of this, I'm now thinking there may be a problem with my boot partition.  I rebooted using the rescue disk, and did a df -k to get information on my filesystems. A shorthand version of the output was:

Filesystem                          Mounted on
/dev                                /dev
/dev/loop0                          /mnt/runtime
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-logVol00     /mnt/sysimage
/dev/sda1                           /mnt/sysimage/boot
/dev                                /mnt/sysimage/dev

from this /dev/sda1 appears to be my boot filesystem.

I'm thinking, performing a fsck on the boot partition, may help
me find out what the problem is. However, when I run the following
command:

fsck -n /dev/sda1

I get these warnings:

WARNING! /dev/sda1 is mounted
WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab

What is the correct way to check my boot partition and
possibly correct it?

Thanks
Jim