Fedora Core 9

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 20:05:11 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 8/13/08, Patrick Kaiser <patrick at argonius.de> wrote:

> From: Patrick Kaiser <patrick at argonius.de>
> Subject: Re: Fedora Core 9
> To: jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com, "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 2:35 PM
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:50:58AM -0700, James McManus
> wrote:
> > --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Steve Searle
> <steve at stevesearle.com> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com>
> > > Subject: Re: Fedora Core 9
> > > To: jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com, "For users of
> Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>> > > Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
> > > Around 05:24pm on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 (UK
> time),
> > > James McManus scrawled:

> today I did
> > > an additional
> When I
> > > rebooted my system,
> stalled out
> > > there.  I have
> find more
> > > information on
> do with
> > > the new kernal. Is
> > >
> > > No.  But what happens if you select the previous
> kernel in
> > > the grub
> > > menu?
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > A:  Because it messes up the order in which
> people normally
> > > read text.
> > > Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?
> > >
> > >  17:39:54 up 5 days,  3:42,  2 users,  load
> average: 0.00,
> > > 0.28, 0.84
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > I do not get the grub menu. It stalls out just before.
> Because of this, I'm now thinking there may be a problem
> with my boot partition.  I rebooted using the rescue disk,
> and did a df -k to get information on my filesystems. A
> shorthand version of the output was:
> >
> > Filesystem                          Mounted on
> > /dev                                /dev
> > /dev/loop0                          /mnt/runtime
> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-logVol00     /mnt/sysimage
> > /dev/sda1                           /mnt/sysimage/boot
> > /dev                                /mnt/sysimage/dev
> >
> > from this /dev/sda1 appears to be my boot filesystem.
> >
> > I'm thinking, performing a fsck on the boot
> partition, may help
> > me find out what the problem is. However, when I run
> the following
> > command:
> >
> > fsck -n /dev/sda1
> >
> > I get these warnings:
> >
> > WARNING! /dev/sda1 is mounted
> > WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab
> >
> > What is the correct way to check my boot partition and
>
> > possibly correct it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jim
> >
> > --
> >

> Dear Jim,
>
> maybe you shoud mount all the old partitions and chroot
> into them to get
> [...]

Patrick,

The old partitions are already mounted. I used chroot, as you suggested,
to change root to the (OLD) main partition. The path to fstab is now
/etc/fstab. When I run:

fsck -n LABEL=/boot

It gives me a warning that the filesystem is mounted, then tells me that
it is skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem
check, and then finally it tells me /boot is clean and give me the # of
file and blocks.

In the past I have always use shutdown with the -F option to scan my
disk, so I am unfamilier with fsck. Because of this I want to be very
careful using this command. I am not sure the problem is with /boot,
and do not want to create a bigger problem by using fsck. Is this the
output I should expect? should I unmount /boot before running the
command?

Jim