F8 vs F9

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:04:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 19:56, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 09:42 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2008 15:50, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > > If you have ATI, F8 is the only way to go.  F9 is not good for ATI
> > > cards, the ati drivers won't support any x server greater than 1.4.2.
> >
> > I presume you mean for accelerated desktop effects?  Certainly for
> > 'normal' use there is no problem.
>
> "Normal" is folks who want to get the money out of their hardware as
> opposed to a GNU cultist that's willing to accept substandard behavior
> in the driver

No idea what you are talking about, Lyvim.  I tend to make my hardware last a
long time, and I certainly don't fit the description in that sentence.
Despite that I have had no problems whatsoever with an ATi card.  I qualify
it only in that I have not had any interest in compiz etc., and I do know
that some people have had problems there - probably most ATi users.

> > > KDE4 really is a disaster so far, it looks like a dumbed down gnome.
> >
> > Utter rubbish.
>
> According to Queene Anne?  BFD.

According to someone who prefers facts to slurs.  KDE4 is not yet complete,
but 95% of most people's needs are now available.  If you prefer not to learn
a new way of working that's your choice, but don't insult those of us to are
willing to learn.

> > > F8
> > > features the last mature version of kde, which is 3.5, and it's pretty
> > > robust.
> >
> > Nothing wrong with 3.5, but remember that if you install F8 now it will
> > be unsupported in a very short time.
>
> That depends on who's doing the supporting.

No it doesn't.  Most people are absolutely dependent on the distro provider's
support.  Many could, at a pinch, do it themselves, but have better things to
do with their time.

Anne