Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Aug 14 06:17:12 UTC 2008

linuxguy <linuxguy123 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Its now 2 weeks past the end of July, when we were told KDE 4.1 would ship.

That's the release date from upstream KDE. We never claimed it was going to hit
F9 updates the same day! The estimates I have frequently given were:
* updates-testing: end of July / beginning of August - We hit that just fine.
* stable updates: around mid-August - We may be a few days late there
(depending on how you interpret mid-August), but it's because we have been
fixing bugs which could make 4.1 actually worse than 4.0 for some users.
Pushing an update which fixes some things for some users and breaks other
things for other users is not an option! The kernel maintainers don't push new
kernels to F9 the day they're released at kernel.org either, for the same
reason!

> I've been stuck with this crappy, half working KDE 4.0 interface for 6 weeks.

If you didn't want 4.0, you should have stayed on F8 until 4.1 comes to F9. And
if you have been able to cope with it for 6 weeks, I don't see why one or two
weeks more or less would change anything.

> Still upset about being stuck with KDE4.0,

Don't worry, 4.1 is coming soon. But flaming us on the mailing lists won't make
it come any sooner! (Personally, it even makes me want to intentionally delay
it to make you suffer, I'm that kind of person. :-p But luckily for you, I want
to provide the best experience for users who _aren't_ posting flames like this
and we have no way to provide updates only for nice users. ;-) )

        Kevin Kofler