ogg to mp3 player

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 10:38:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:47:46 +0100
Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Put F9 on sons PC.
> Now how do I direct him to put ogg files to his bog-standard player.
> And have them played.

Depends on the player.

> Can he convert his current mp3 collection to ogg?

Not usefully. MP3 encoding has aready trashed the audio quality and
reconverting it will cause even more harm. Always encode from the
original unmangled media format (CD, flac etc).

If you want to play mp3 files you either have to be outside the USA (in
which case you can probably use the livna repositories) or buy the
relevant mp3 software because of the US patents.

Alan