F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:01:51 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> A lot of applications sit on top of ffmpeg and ffmpeg is structured that you
> have to make compile time choices as to what sort of functionality it
> exposes.

Why is it problematic for an end user to make a compile time choice in
an open source system that includes a compiler?   Philosophically, I
mean - I know RPM packaging is not conducive to using the source.

> Sucks.. but the ffmpeg developers made a framework chose that is incredibly
> inflexible.

Isn't this really as much a fedora packaging choice that makes working
with source inflexible?  But realistically, if you have to get the
codecs from a third party you might as well get the whole thing there.
There really isn't a lot of point in having a crippled version pre-built
at all so omitting it from the distro is best for everyone.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com