F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 16:53:55 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Craig White wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 12:03 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >I think that you completely misunderstand the point of pulseaudio but
>> >that is your prerogative but it's unfair for you to spread the FUD
>> >
>> >I'm sure it will come as a shock to you to find that pulseaudio is also
>> >included in Ubuntu.
>>
>> I'm aware of that, also aware that they did like we did, nuked it so they
>> can have sound more complex than the pc's beeper.
>>
>> When I last installed from the December respin, it still did not work, and
>> that was what, the 2nd or 3rd respin?  Seems to me if it was going to
>> work, it should have worked for >90% of the people by then.
>>
>> Bare in mind I have two sound systems in this machine, I use the
>> motherboards AC97 chipset for skype and friends, and an Audigy 2 (the good
>> one) for everything else.  If pulseaudio cannot be respectful of the
>> settings in my /etc/modprobe.conf that achieve that, then it is of no use
>> to me.
>>
>> >From an lspci:
>>
>> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio
>> Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
>> 01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
>> Audio Decoder (rev 05)
>> 01:07.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
>> Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
>> 01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
>>
>> All of which I expect to work, and which do so now with as much pulseaudio
>> removed as can be without nuking the whole system.
>>
>> If however, it is now working for others, please share with me what it
>> took to make it work, preferably for everyone.  Or better yet cuz the list
>> will be quieter, point me to a how to URL.
>
>----
>pulseaudio is userland and since you run GUI as root, it's meaningless
>to you anyway...that's what I meant by stating that you don't understand
>it's use/purpose.

So far Craig, no one has has offered a clear, lucid explanation of how it (is
supposed to) works.  It's just like alsa, a big secret, and devoid even of a
means to re-init it other than rebooting.  Where is the 'service alsa
restart'?  This is NOT the foss way.

>Of course it's only going to get in your way as does
>all other userland conveniences since you always have the power of
>superuser and have access to all devices.

I've been denied access to something by selinux several times.  Probably
unrelated, but its happened.

>Since you use GUI as root and have little reason to adapt to userland
>conveniences, your utterance of disdain for pulseaudio can only be FUD

But no link to a howto, how very obvious...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)