F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 14 19:04:53 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Here like I have mentioned in the same thread.  A Fedora spin without (all the free stuff(non patent encumbered ) that is provided by default)
would make sense and would free Fedora/Red Hat from litigation and would
make it easier to include the stuff that will make media players play
everything under the sun and will not get in the way when buiding these
apps.

It won't make sense for Fedora to not include support for the non-patent
encumbered codecs since one of the primary objectives of Fedora is to
enable and support free and open source software. Besides multimedia
frameworks like gstreamer is a dependency of many many apps and
excluding them all is not feasible. Normally users who want additional
components would just grab those from a third party repo. If you are
compiling from source, that's a smaller nice of users and you are very
well equipped to remove whatever you don't want. Again, if you disagree
and think your goal will help end users, feel free to build a Fedora
spin exactly the way you want. The tools that we used to build Fedora
are all available as part of Fedora.

> It is not a bad thing Rahul. I have mplayer and gecko-media player built from source and I am doing fine.  I am not complaining.
It would make sense to not have to ship crippled players *unless the
users want those only**

Gstreamer has a plugin model and we don't include some of the plugins.
This process doesn't require actively crippling anything.

Rahul