F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 21:42:49 UTC 2008

> > Can a good solution be to use the free stuff built for
> the
> > EvilEmpire's OS and run them through wine?
> >
> > There are a few applications that work fine through
> wine and were
> > designed for windows users in mind.  There are ffmpeg,
> dvdauthor and
> > the same free stuff(that is patent encumbered) made
> available for
> > windows users that like to use them.  Why not use
> those through wine?
>
> I don't see what is gained by this in a *legal* sense.
> Anything that
> requires a proprietary codec requires a non-free license,
> whether it
> works via Wine or not. AFAIK Fedora could still not include
> it, for
> precisely the same reasons.
Well in Windows you can run lots of proprietary stuff via crack(s)(ed) software.  To many people they are equivalent to free software because
1) they did not pay for it
2) they are using it for free and it works
3) it will work for what they want and that is all that matters for them

You can also run free programs(endorsed by FSF) on Windows without any problems, and using those same programs here on the Linux side *might be bad* because of patents.  Some are some are not.  It is very hard to determine why and where do you draw the line between what is free and patent proof and free but with a few gotchas.

Of course I am not asking that Fedora to include it.  I am not stupid and do not want to hurt Fedora in any way shape or form.  I am stating that those programs that help in editing video and producing stuff that is *very hard* to make it work in Fedora, to try it out with some free software/or proprietary software for the EvilEmpireOS via wine and see if it works or not?

> And if you can use non-free codecs from Livna or whatever,
> as many of us
> undoubtedly do, then Wine is irrelevant as regards the
> legal position.
That will not change the position.  You are right :)

> poc
>
> --

Regards,

Antonio