laptop keyboard soaked by a soft drink!

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 00:02:33 UTC 2008

Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
<snip>
> Note that pure alcohol will not clean up sugar.   You might need
> a jug of distilled water and use pure water or mix alcohol+water.

pure alcohol will clean sugar. i do not recommend it on membrane carbon
contacts. just plain warm water.

i have used it on circuit boards for many years because it will evaporate
better than just water. i do use and prefer a degreaser agent, such as
dichlorofluoroethane when i am not out. there are several others that i
use, but am out of now so i can not pass along their names.

they are available thru any well stocked electronics supply [excluding
radio shack]. brand names are; 'crc industries', 'tech spray', 'chemtronics',
'gc electronics'. most all are non ozone, epa approved, and plastic safe.

> The soft toothbrush works.

better to use a brush in an inline steel handle. gets into tight areas better.

> (I worked in a repair department 20+ years back).

i started in electronics in radio and tv work in 1953, age 13. 'rewrote'
us air force 'basic electronics manual' in late 1960. designed first
'exclusive or' logic circuit with relays in 1965, converted it to transistors
in late 1966, and discrete logic circuits in 1969. started designing discrete
logic circuit controllers in early 70's. built my first micro computer in 1974,
s100 system in 1975.

i could elaborate, but no need and rather not.

<snip>
> dishwasher and even then depending on the local water supply you could
> do more damage than good.

no disagreement there. pure distilled is always best with electronics.

<snip>
> Over time it will
> react with the contacts and traces wrecking the electronics.  This
> is in part why it might work for a while then die a long and painful
> death.

if not properly cleaned soon enough. defining soon enough is hard part.

> Can you say "backup".....

if he has a desk top, 3.5 to 4.25 drive connection adapters are available.

- --
tc,hago.

.

learn linux: