F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 03:03:20 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Here, nothing would import video through the firewire port, even if I
>> just hit play on the camera and didn't try remotely controlling the
>> player from the computer (which didn't work either).  Apparently the
>> firewire port does work enough that you can see the camera's been
>> recognised, if you look through the system logs.
>
>We should look at this more closely...probably in another thread. It
>might be a kernel regression..or it could be some sort of acl issue
>associated with the new authorization scheme that PolicyKit/ConsoleKit
>uses for device access. We need to compare notes..but not in this
>thread.
>
>And even if I imported
>
>> video via Windows, then tried to make use of the already captured files
>> in Linux, I got nowhere.  And adding every available codec didn't help,
>> things, at all.
>>
>> Again, re-rendering lossy compressed video is to be avoided at all
>> costs, it's seriously detrimental to quality.  And usually would be
>> completely avoidable, anyway, as most editing is "cuts only" which
>> doesn't need re-rendering, just interrupting the streams at the right
>> moment, and joining two streams together.
>
>pitivi knows how to deal with dv as source material.. and it does
>basic clip sequencing and chopping.  I've use it to sequence a couple
>of things shot from the panasonic minidv camcorder that I have, and
>then used audacity to edit the sound track separately, then mixed the
>two together into a final theora video with vorbis audio.  A topic for
>another thread.
>
>-jef

But, it cannot import directly from the firewire, so without a working dvgrab,
that is about as functional as those famous appendages on the tummy of a boar
hog.

FWIW, I did get kino-1.3.1 built and running, the showstopper was in frame.h
in the ffmpeg sub src tree.  So I'm a happy camper again & still using F8.
I'll email Dan, the edits were very simple and I'd include them here, but the
Lawyers would have a cow or 10.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)