Need application suggestions for ripping to Cowon A3 PVP

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 15 03:07:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 18:55 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Is the tag information carried in the file name, or in some metadata
> area w/in the track itself, or as separate files w/in the ripped-to
> directory?

If you researched ID3 for yourself, you'd find that out.  It's data
embedded in the audio file, with a number of commonly understood
relationships (e.g. title="the name of the audio file") as well as
others handled by less applications.  Not to mention different versions
of ID data.

If you're into classical music, it's woefully inadequate, though.
e.g. Artist is a vague term, do you apply it to the composer or the
performer?  There aren't the fields necessary for proper classification,
and the genre tagging's just stupid (a small predefined list of number
genres, with no free-form entry of type).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.