Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 15 13:32:32 UTC 2008

linuxguy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 14:30 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> If the price of 10% adoption rate is exponential increase in the number
>> of bitch-and-moan-while-doing-nothing-to-help like the OP, I'll take 1%
>> market share any time, any date. (But that's me...)
>
> "do nothing to help" people are the majority of computer users.   They
> don't expect to have to WORK on an operating system.   They expect it to
> "just work" for them.
>
> You are lucky that I "bitch an moan".  I'm really just the messenger for
> the vast majority of potential Linux users out there.  99% of the other
> people heard messages like "If the price of 10% adoption is..." from
> Linux people like yourself and decided they didn't want to be insulted
> and then chose not to be involved in the Linux community.
>
> The Fedora and KDE communities shipped an operating system in which
> basic functionality like drag and drop and Kget doesn't work.  They
> didn't clearly warn people about things like this.   And you expect
> people to not complain ?
>
> I think its time the Fedora community took a long hard look at itself.
> Linux IS ready for the desktop.   Or at least it was with KDE 3.5.9.
> Some of the Linux community, however, is not.

One thing you seem to be missing is that Fedora is not aimed at new
users or users that do not want to tinker with things. If you want a
system that you can "just use" then you should be looking at another
distribution.

One of the best things about Linux is that you have choices. Part of
the choice is picking a distribution that meets your needs. Do not
expect all Linux distributions to be the same, or try to be all
things to all people. Fedora is a distribution that tries new
things. Sometimes it breaks things. If you are after a stable
distribution, and the installation being supported for a long time,
you are not going to like Fedora.

What your complaint sounds like is that Fedora is not providing you
with what you want. This is understandable. The goals of Fedora are
not your goals. But you are wrong to expect Fedora to change to
match your goals. You are better off finding a distribution that has
the goals you want. It is a mistake to assume that all distributions
have the same goals, or to expect them to.

Mikkel