Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 19:25:03 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> If the price of 10% adoption rate is exponential increase in the number
>>> of bitch-and-moan-while-doing-nothing-to-help like the OP, I'll take 1%
>>> market share any time, any date. (But that's me...)
>> "do nothing to help" people are the majority of computer users.
>
> I am pretty sure the majority of computer users pay. Paying is a lot of help.

They do pay, but to Microsoft and Apple.

>> I'm really just the messenger for
>> the vast majority of potential Linux users out there.  99% of the other
>> people heard messages like "If the price of 10% adoption is..." from
>> Linux people like yourself and decided they didn't want to be insulted
>> and then chose not to be involved in the Linux community.
>
> Fuck em. Seriously, I speak for myself, and you can quote me on that.
> Why would I want to encourage my own abusers?

Because with free software, only a very small percentage of users will
be both motivated and able to improve it.  That means you need to
encourage a very large user base to reach that small percentage that
will matter for the future.

>> They
>> didn't clearly warn people about things like this.
>
> Being ignorant doesn't mean they didn't warn. There were, without
> exaggeration, dozens of announcements, and articles before, during and
> after the release.

Really?  Is there something on the fedora project page or the usual
download locations saying not to use this release? Or something in the
installer?

> Which has not magically disappeared into the ether. If you weren't
> willing to deal with the issues, you should have stayed with KDE 3.5.
> Souds like KDE isn't going to be ready for you till 4.5

How would a potential new user know this before installing and wiping
out whatever they had that worked before?  And having done that, how can
you expect them not to complain?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com