No audio when recording using Audacity in Fedora 9

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 15 19:42:55 UTC 2008

I'm using audacity with jack under F9 to record audio coming in through
my computer's line input.  Everything seems to work OK, except that no
signal appears in the input VU meter or in the displayed waveform.  The
recording is silent.  A little web searching turned up this snippet:

        Audacity doesn't support PulseAudio, nor Esound for the moment.
        You'll have to kill or suspend pulseaudio before you use this
        application. Audacity uses the PortAudio cross-platform Audio
        API which doesnt support pulseaudio. Some work was started on
        making portaudio support PulseAudio but this does not appear to
        be under active development currently and does not work in it's
        current state.

In F8 under KDE, I was able to stop the aRts sound server, and record
successfully.  F9 with Gnome appears to use both PulseAudio and EsounD.
It's easy to stop PulseAudio, using something like:
        pasuspender -- audacity <argument>
but there doesn't seem to be any way to stop EsounD.

Has anyone used audacity successfully with jack?  Or any other way?