No audio when recording using Audacity in Fedora 9

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 20:23:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:58:41 -0700, stan wrote:

> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I'm using audacity with jack under F9 to record audio coming in through
> > my computer's line input.  Everything seems to work OK, except that no
> > signal appears in the input VU meter or in the displayed waveform.  The
> > recording is silent.

> > Has anyone used audacity successfully with jack?  Or any other way?

I've been told (more than once) that JACK in Audacity is untested
and that it may be disabled by default in any future release.

> Yes, I use audacity on Fedora 9.  I do not use pulse at all, though it
> is installed and disabled (not temporarily suspended).  I am not using
> jack, though that probably isn't your issue.  I am using the audacity
> 1.3.6 beta,

That doesn't exist yet. Most recent you can get is 1.3.6-alpha6 from cvs.

You can get 1.3.5-beta rpms for Fedora 8 and 9 in the updates-testing
repo ( yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update audacity ) or when
installing audacity-nonfree from Livna.