F9 boot-from-USB MemStick?

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Aug 16 01:29:12 UTC 2008

Joe Klemmer wrote:
> 	No floppy and DVD doesn't work.  I need to boot from a USB stick and
> try to install that way.  There is an overload of Fedora related sites
> which makes it slightly cumbersome finding stuff at times.  So, is there
> a Fedora "spin" that can be used with USB sticks for installation?  If
> so, where might it be?

It's supposed to be possible to make a "live" USB stick out of a "live" CD
image. I haven't tried that but I have sometimes installed Fedora using an
installation DVD image and two USB sticks. I put the DVD image on one USB
stick such that the ISO image was a file in the file system on the stick.
Then I took the image file diskboot.img (which seems to be efidisk.img in
Fedora 9) from the DVD image and wrote it to another USB stick such that the
image became the file system on the stick. As I recall I first inserted the
boot stick and booted from it. Then I inserted the other USB stick, selected
the option to install from a hard disk, and gave the installer the path to
the DVD image on the stick.

Björn Persson