Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 16 18:58:04 UTC 2008

On Saturday 16 August 2008 18:31:25 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > Keep it up guys - I am one who does appreciate how
> >
> > things
> >
> > > move forward.
> >
> > I second your comment :)  It is becoming better, not yet at
> > a comfort level, still missing the Digital Clock from KDE
> > 3.5.X, but it is working better and it is coming around.
>
> I better clarify the comfort level part.  Not as comfortable as I would be
> if using KDE 3.5.X because I cannot customize it like I did before.  I
> cannot put a quicklaunch like I did before with previous KDE.  I can't get
> the old LCD clock that I liked very much but it is not there :( That is why
> I mean by comfort level.

Most of the customisation is possible in 4.1, though sometimes it takes a
little lateral thinking to get it.  For those that want it, for instance, it
is possible to define a folder view that points to Desktop, run it at full
screen, and add Trash and Home icons and anything else they want to feel at
home.

> It is very workable.  Okular is excellent :)  It(KDE 4.X) is coming around.
>  Great work KDE developers.  I apologize ahead of time, if I sounded
> pessimistic in previous threads.  On F9, I use GNOME, but on rawhide, I am
> using KDE :)  I am seeing the progress.

I'm not running rawhide, but I first installed 4.0 from rawhide before F9 came
out.  The speed at which it has improved has been, I think, impressive.  If
Fedora had decided not to go with it in F9 there would have been howls of
anger that other distros had 4.x and Fedora doesn't.  They cant win.

Anne