network vs NetworkManger services ??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 16 20:02:14 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 14:40 -0400, William Case wrote:
>> I will see if I can get help with NetworkManager on the
>> networkmanager-list at gnome.org , but meanwhile, so as to avoid asking
>> really stupid questions in more than one place.  Is the 'network'
>> service supposed to be running while the NetworkManager service is on?
>
> There is no such thing as *the* 'network' service (in the sense I think
> you mean). People on this list are using Network vs. NM as a shorthand
> for two ways of configuring the various network components, some of
> which are in the kernel and some in user space. Specifically when they
> say Network in this context they mean the set of scripts invoked via the
> system-config-network command.

Yes there is. I have to check F9, but F8 has both the NetworkManager
and network services. NetworkManager is started with run level 5,
and network is started with run level 3 by default. (The spelling is
important if you want to start/stop them manually.)

In any case, he would have gotten an error when he used the service
command if there was not a network service.

Mikkel