Network printer setup,

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 16 20:18:31 UTC 2008

Vincent Onelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some body that can help me to setup a printer? I am new on
> Linux, and most of the entry required I do not know what to enter in.
> I had send similar message before but I did not get any answer. I
> understand your have a large number of messages to get to, but please
> try to understand our new user problem, without your help we could not
> survive very long with Linux, I have several friends that tried Linux
> for a short period of time and then abandon it. I am the stubborn one,
> but now I am stuck,I need to use this printer it is the only one that I
> have to print on paper 17x22.
> I very much appreciate if some one can give me a detailed guideline on
> what to enter on various setup phase, one answer I received pointed me
> to http://localhost:631 but then what I enter to various steps? I try to
> enter some thing but Icould not get pass the verification stage the user
> or the password were not accepted, I assume that it want the root PW but
> I also tried the user PW, no luck.
> Some info on my system:
>      Dell Dimension 8300.
>      Netgear router WGR614v6
>      Printer Server Netgear PS101
>      Printer Epson Stylus Color 1520
>  It work fine with windows and these are the setting as listed on the
>  Router:     Printer Server Netgear PS101. Lan manager printer port
> PSE6D76B
>                              Printer server port    LPT1:PSE6D76B
>                              Server Name             PSE6D76B
>                              IP Address              192.168.1.3
>
> Epson Setup:                 Name                    Epson1520
>                              Hostname                192.168.1.3
>                              Queue                   PSE6D76B
>
> Thank you in advance
>  Vinny

Ok - the first thing is that the user and password it is asking for
defaults to root and root's password. Normal users login and
password do not work unless they are added.

From there, you want the Administration tab. From there you can
click on the Find New Printers. If the printserver supports IPP,
then you can have CUPS can find it for you. It will do most of the
setup for you.

If CUPS does not find the printer, you will have to use Add New
Printer. You then will want to pick LPD/LPR Host or Printer.

The next step is to enter "lpd://192.168.1.3/PSE6D76B" at the Device
URI: prompt. From there it is just a matter of selecting your
printer from the menu.

As the last step, you will have to enter root as the user name and
root's password for the password to save the new printer.

Mikkel