DNS poison? Yum tummy ache?

Marcelo M. Garcia marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 16 21:25:55 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 16 August 2008, g wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Starting about a day ago, yum hasn't been able to locate a valid repo for
>>> fedora
>> could this be a part of problem?
>>
>> ++++
>>
>>> From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>
>> To: fedora-announce-list <fedora-announce-list at redhat.com>
>> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:15:13 -0400
>> Subject: Important infrastructure announcement
>>
>> The Fedora Infrastructure team is currently investigating an issue in
>> the infrastructure systems.  That process may result in service outages,
>> for which we apologize in advance.  We're still assessing the end-user
>> impact of the situation, but as a precaution, we recommend you not
>> download or update any additional packages on your Fedora systems.
>>
>> We'll share updates as we develop more information.  Those updates will
>> be published here on the public fedora-announce-list:
>>
>> Thanks for your patience as we continue working on this.
>> ++++
>>
> With all due respect for Paul, an announcement like this truly belongs on the
> mail list, not on some list only 2% are subbed to.

I think that Gene is absolutely right. This kind of announcement should
be made where it can reach most of Fedora users.

A request to not update or download additional package is very serious.
Specially because I read this after updating my to boxes. I would say
that somewhat worry.

Regards

Marcelo.