network vs NetworkManger services ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Aug 17 02:57:45 UTC 2008

Matthew we seem to be talking at cross purposes.

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 20:46 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 17:28 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi Matthew;

> > > He's referring to /etc/initi.d/network.  And no, it should be off if you
> > > are running NetowrkManager (and vice versa).  And the interfaces you
> > > want to be managed by NetworkManager should be so set in
> > > system-config-network.
> >
> > They *are set* in system-config-network.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear.  In system-config-network, there is a check-box
> for each interface indicating whether it is controlled by
> NetworkManager.  If you have NetworkManager service running and the
> network service off, you want that box checked.  If you have
> NetworkManager off and network running, you want that box unchecked.

I just re-opened 'root]$ system-config-network'.  The Network
Configuration gui popped up.  On the devices tab which is the device
interface, Profile is checkmarked; Status is active; Device is eth0
Nickname is eth0; Type is Ethernet. Hardware tab info is correct; DNS
tab info is correct; Hosts tab only shows loopback data after I check
mark 'show loopback'. Active profile is listed as Common.

My NetworkManager is enabled, running and configured to runlevel
2,3,4,5.

The network service is disabled but running and configured to no
runlevels at all.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3