network vs NetworkManger services ?? [SOLVED] kinda

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Aug 17 03:29:53 UTC 2008

Hi Patrick;

As I said I am now satisfied that a conflict between some entity called
'network' or NM is the cause of my problems.  So some of this discussion
is a bit moot.

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 20:15 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 18:41 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > So why can't I get rid of 'network' entirely?  I understand that
> > 'network' is not an application to be removed, but something is
> > sticking it in the list of services.  With NetworkManager running,
> > 'network' is not a service I need.  So why confuse the issue?
>
> Bill, if your question is "why do I get a network status report when I
> invoke 'service network status'?" the answer is that the status is
> simply a report on the state of the various interfaces. It has nothing
> whatever to do with you using system-config-network.

It seems that the word 'network' is being used in two different
senses.

If I look at system-config-services I see what looks like an entity
(program, application or process) that can be enabled, disabled,
started, stopped or restarted as can its alternate NetworkManager.  I
supposed that that entity (network) was what I was looking at with the
command service network status.

But it seems with the service network status command the word network is
simply a generalized reference to any network.  So be it, but it is
confusing.

If this second meaning is true, it would make far more sense if
'network' was not listed as running in system-config-services.  Or had
another name such as 'default_networking' (poor choice but ...) that
would assign some definition and distinction to it.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3