Possible to Recover LiveUSB Overlay Image?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:31:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Last night I ran into a bit of bad luck. The Fedora 9 LiveUSB stick that
> I've been using on my notebook for several months stopped responding so I
> did a hard reset of the notebook thinking that it'll just reboot and
> everything would be fine.
>
> As usual, I was wrong. On boot, I now drop into a recovery shell with a
> "good luck" message. Apparently, I'm not the first one to discover this (see
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/28 ). While I'm not so
> anxious to fix the installation, I would like to try to recover my files
> from the overlay image, but  I'm not sure how to go about this. It's not
> critical that I recover these files, but it would be nice.
>
> I was hoping that I could just mount the image like most other disk images,
> but that didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I
> can find information about recovering the files, or have direct answers for
> me? Is it even possible with standard tools?
>
> Thank you,
> Raymond

Sorry, you're more than likely out of luck. The overlay is not "mountable"
as it doesn't record whole file changes but rather block level changes. One
thing I did was as I got things working well, updates I cared about,
installed programs that didn't come with the live image, I copied the
overlay to the hard drive so when things went south, I could at least get
back to a "restore point".

Richard