network vs NetworkManger services ??

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:52:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 7:35 PM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> Aaron, in an earlier post you said "If you use NM then
> system-confiig-network is of no use. It controls the
> scripts for network."  How can I find out exactly which scripts NM
> controls for the network?  I am assuming the antecedent for the 'It'
> pronoun quoted above is the word 'NM'.

You continue to confuse yourself.  NM does most of what it does
automatically. In Fedora 9 it does expose some ability to support
static ip addresses but i havent used that particular feature so I can
not point to exactly where it holds that information.

For typical uses, where NM is talking to a dhcp server... NM doesn't
hold need to hold much of anything with regard to configuration...so
you are looking for configuration files which don't typically
exist...a futile effort.

You already found the connections area under gconf...NM holds
information in there about connections its name in there.  .I'm not
really sure what else you are expecting to find.   If you want to know
how NM works in a deep way you are going to have to go to the upstream
project communication channels and try to suck information out of the
developers.  For the end-users cases that NM is meant to be used for,
it is meant to be interacted with via the applet UI, so for most of us
who use it we don't have a need to go poking around at its gconf keys
or any other configs. When it works.. it works.  And for you
specifically, your problems have been that you have gone messing
around with configs unnecessarily. NM was working for you, and the
last time we spoke you confirmed for me that it was working for you
again.  If you keep running system-config-network you are going to
just break things..again.

-jef"These conversations are proof that s-c-network and the legacy
network service should be removed by default in F10 for at least the
Desktop spin"spaleta