network vs NetworkManger services ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 01:00:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 15:55 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or am I misunderstanding something?
>

> I think you should get acquainted with the NM roadmap, specifically
> the work concerning how user connections are going to be publishable
> as system wide settings so NM can bring up interfaces at boot
>
> And if you are KDE user then you should check in with how kde4.1 plans
> to interfaces with NM.  I'm not a kde user, so I can't tell you. All I
> can tell you is that the release notes for kde 4 and the betas leading
> up to 4.1 have mentioned NM integration.  There's absolutely no reason
> that each and every desktop that wants to can implement its on user
> session daemon to communicate with the system level daemon via D-Bus.
> I'm pretty sure for KDE 4.x there is something native to fill the role
> that nm-applet does. But since I'm not a KDE users I'm not going to
> pretend to understand it to the point of explaining it.

Fair enough. It's just that your previous posts imply that this has
something to do with NM itself, not nm-applet. However I see that
although NM is a Gnome project it is designed to allow a variety of
"info-managers" including GConf, LDAP, KConfig etc. See
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration

I'll need to read more to understand how this is going to work when the
same machine is running several different desktops at the same time.

poc