(slashdot)Package Managers As Achilles Heel

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Aug 18 02:10:51 UTC 2008

Joel Rees wrote:
> Just being alarmist, here,
>
> On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:42 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Björn Persson wrote:
>>>
>>> I found this in their FAQ:

>>> mirrors for my
>>> right?

>>> requests
>>> some of
>>> mirror and
>>> attacker wants
>>> do so.
>>>
>>> It's not clear whether Yum is vulnerable to getting locked to the
>>> malicious
>>> mirror, or how they did it.
>>>
>>> Björn Persson
>>>
>> By default, the mirrir list is fetched from
>> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
>>
>> and a mirror is picked at random from the list. You can override the
>> mirror used with the fast-mirror plugin, or by editing the repo
>> configuration file. So yum is probably not one of the clients they
>> could do that to.
>
> Can yum install something that would overwrite its own configuration file?

Sure, if you have an RPM that overwrite the fedora-release RPM
(Fedora repo configs) or the yum RPM. Plus you can add repo's
besides the Fedora ones. But the packages have to be signed with a
key you have installed, and be a newer version then the ones you
have. The signature in the hard part. If you modify the RPM, the
signature will no longer be valid. You need the Fedora private
key(s) to resign them. So while it can be done, it would not be easy
- you would have to convince the administrator to install the RPM
ageist proper security practices. You have to override you to
install the bad package.

Mikkel