spooky coincidence or disk killer virus?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 18 02:39:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 21:47 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> this was one of those flash-boom varieties with no time delay between
> flash and boom

I had one of them, with no warning (it was the first strike).  It scared
the wits out of me, and one of the computers.  It suddenly winked out
and rebooted, while other things carried on as if nothing had happened.
The computer seemed fine, afterwards.

I've never been that close to a strike before.  The flash was alarming
and the sound was incredible.

I've seen live television where a camera was struck.  They were filming
the golf, and one of the remotes got hit.  The picture went wonky, then
the cameraman dropped his camera, then picked up moments later and
carried on filming, unaware of what bit him until told about it.  I
don't think I'd do that, I'd be sitting down and thinking about things
for a while, so to speak.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686