F8 system crashed

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:30:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Barry Yu <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> During start up noticed "avahi daemon     Failed", and
> then "Greeter appears to be crashing. Attempting to
> use a different one", this Greeter keeps attempting to
> do the same but never can start the log in.
> Need help to fix it if can avoid fresh installation.
>
> --

Hi Barry Yu!

Avahi is a network service discovery utility.

The greeter not being there makes me wonder how your HD is doing.

I would try a <Control><Alt><F1> to see if you can obtain a terminal
login.  If not, use a rescue disk or the Live CD.  Once in a terminal
enviornment I would look in /var/log/ at messages, dmesg, etc... for
why the machine crashed.  I would also use fsck to see how the HD is
doing.

Have fun!

Tod