Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:10:18 UTC 2008

Steve Repo wrote:

> If only all the sysadmins in the world had the time to check on each system
> and every packet on the network! Try looking for a needle in a haysack?

Sure but I would assume, wrongly it seems, that a good admin has taken
the time to establish some sort of baseline for the network. If you
monitor traffic once in a while and know what is going on the task is
certainly manageable. You don't need to necessarily monitor every box or
even everything getting onto the network just the outbound traffic if
that's all you have time for. Certainly not a small task but you should
be able to reasonably sift through it if you've monitored the network
over a period of time and understand what is normal for your network and
what is not. If you haven't then I would suggest starting now. The
filters on wireshark are damn good and once you learn what is more or
less normal for your network then spotting oddities is easier. Of course
you'll ultimately have to rely a lot on your own judgement but there are
many tools to help monitor network activity.
Nagios is one, hobbit is another if memory serves, there is whois for
checking who ip may belong to.

> The least fedora could have done is give some suggestions to users on how to
> take precautions if this is really a security issue which seems quite
> obvious now since it's been days and everyone is in the dark

I am not sure how to respond to the above except to say that I don't
think fedora expects to have to manage your machines for you. Rather
than have you get insulted, which is probably unavoidable at this point,
and start a flame war about what fedora should and shouldn't do maybe we
can discuss some of the things to do to secure a network and how to
proceed if you *suspect* you have a compromised box or two online. Where
are all those oldtime admins? how about schooling us youngsters on
proper procedure instead of watching another thread descend into
pointless bickering.

-Max