F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 03:56:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 03:07 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 21:40 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Gene Heskett
> > <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> >         Nah. I've used kino before.  The button has been pushed, and
> >         Ubuntu 8.04 is
> >         coming in via ktorrent right now.
> >
> > Good for you. It's important to find a solution that works for you.
> > For your sake, I sincerely hope that Canonical never reaches
> > profitability. So that they will never have to re-evaluate their
> > exposure to the potential legal risk that software patents represent
> > to their business model in the jurisdictions where they sell and
> > service their product..so you'll never have to go distro shopping
> > again.
> >
> > -jef
>
> Fantastic work, Jeff.  Now we have yet another loyal fedora user jumping
> ship to go to ubuntu, after being told:
>
> 1.  You need to put up with the crappy apps you already have
>
> 2.  You need to use your valuable time on this earth to code and not
> actually use the computer -- to help us with our crappy forced-licensing
> ideology which is never going to work anyway btw
>
> 3.  Oh, you're going to Ubuntu?  Rots of ruck.
>
> You know, one big brass-balled difference between M$ and Red Hat is
> that, at MicroSoft, they tell the lawyers what to do.  At Red Hat, the
> lawyers tell Red Hat what to do.   I'm seeing that it's a big f*king
> difference.
>
> This is the kind of dumb shit Alan Cox mentality that is killing Fedora.
> I've heard enough excuses, it's done; there's no excuse at all for
> another distro cleaning your clock when you were on the top of the heap
> in the first place.  Why is it that Ubuntu just works without excuses,
> and then on the fedora list all we hear is whah whah explanations and
> justifications?  It's patently absurd when the infrastructure of Red Hat
> itself is in fact RUNNING THE USERS OFF!
>
> Oh yeah let me read the script from the peanut gallery that's entering
> stage right; "duh, shut up I don't want to hear it... whine whine excuse
> whine excuse.....etc."
>
> Let's see how many more you run off.

I installed CentOS which is as close to FC6 as you can get, I have all
of my applications, my multimedia working, KDE 3.5.4, and even Xvfb
works like a charm. Imagine that! Now I don't even CARE that it never
works with Fedora. No more gripes!

I can depend on my machine behaving like it did yesterday and the day
before, it's all good. Everyone has been right, install CentOS if it's a
soft ride you're looking for. My favorite vehicle has always been an
older Cadillac! But, I'd definitely install Kubuntu to Mom's machine. I
created another partition, installed Kubuntu to it, and there are some
things I absolutely love about it, and some that I despise. CentOS is
right there solidly in the middle between Fedora and Ubuntu.

Happy as a clam, no mo' bitchin', Ric