OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 19 23:19:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:10 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > > Dean Messing wrote:
> > > I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
> > > (required by the dept. she's in).  I'm wondering if OS X understands
> > > the ext3 filesysystem.  In particular, will it properly handle
> > > symlinks generated under linux?
> <snip>
> >
> > Not out of the box.
> >
> > I think this is the project I'm using to access my linux external
> > drives.
> >
> > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>
>
> Not what I was hoping to hear. :-)
> (But  thanks for your quick response!
>
> I'll have a look but, being entirely ignorant of Macs, I probably
> shd. ask another question:
>
> Is there F/S that Mac and Linux have in common that supports
> symlinking?  I have the ntfs-3g stuff installed on this F8 machine,
> but I don't know if (i) Mac speaks it and (ii) it supports symlinks.
> I can find out for myself if (ii) is true, but I don't
> have access to a Mac to find out (i).
----
I think you are over thinking this...

If you tar the files and untar them on the MacOS HD (HFS+), the symbolic
links should be fine.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Aliases.html

I seriously doubt that bringing in a non-native file system is the
answer you are looking for.

Craig