OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:04:14 UTC 2008

Dean S. Messing wrote:
>> I think you are over thinking this...
>>
>> If you tar the files and untar them on the MacOS HD (HFS+), the symbolic
>> links should be fine.
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Aliases.html
>>
>> I seriously doubt that bringing in a non-native file system is the
>> answer you are looking for.
>
> Thanks for the link and the advice, Craig.
>
> Now that I've looked into things, I agree with you about the
> non-native filesystem.
>
> But I'm missing something fundamental.  How, without being on a
> network, do I get the 30GB tar file off my disk and onto her computer?

Split the tar into pieces less than 2GB (with split -b), copy to a VFAT
formatted USB drive and on the mac, cat the pieces back together to feed
to tar.  But, if the music files have standard tags that itunes will
recognize, I'd just copy the files themselves to a vfat drive without
the symlink structure, drop them into itunes and let it organize them
its own way.  You'll quickly learn to hate macs if you try to force them
to do things your way.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com