OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 20 01:53:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 15:15 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> n particular, will it properly handle symlinks generated under linux?
> I wd. like to give her a USB disk containing an ext3 filesystem (that
> has lots of symlinks) with her 25 Gig organised classical music
> library on it (done on an F8 system).

If you said what you think you need the symlinks for, perhaps it
wouldn't be an issue anymore.

e.g. I might have symlinks to a Toccata and Fugue in D minor ogg file.
One in a Bach directory, another in an organ directory, another in a
Simon Preston directory, and so on and so forth...

If you're doing it for that sort of cross referencing purposes, you
wouldn't need to bother if you use a music program that databases your
files based on the file's metadata.  A good one can do a better job,
avoiding circular linking, and having to decide which way the direction
of linking goes.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686