F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:17:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 14:58 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>         The first tab, if you click on 640x350, also offers 640x400,
> 640x480, and 720x400 -- iow,, it doesn't even get up to 800x600.
>
>         Would one of the other offered resolutions likely do better
> than
> 640x350?? I've sometimes had to make large changes in what's
> autoconfigured, but I've other times gotten in over my eyeballs by
> fiddling with these settings.

In general LCDs don't work well except at their native resolutions, so I
wouldn't be too hopeful.

>         And the same is true of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
>         Now that I know the trick of dragging with the left Alt key
> down,
> I can usually do *something* with gpk -- but it sure would make life
> lot easier to have the window fit the monitor.

Since you can drag the window you can also presumably resize it. Most
apps don't adjust automatically to the screen size (maybe they should
but that's a whole other discussion) so you sometimes need to adjust
them. If you're lucky, the new size will be remembered between sessions.

poc