OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Aug 20 16:03:41 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell writes:
> Dean Messing writes:
> I don't need to learn to hate macs (or Apple).  I bought
> an iPod for my daughter a few months ago and quickly learned
> what a pool of iTunes quicksand their whole business model is.
>
> I've never bought anything from the itunes store, but I use it daily, so
> I can't complain.  Itunes will happily rip your own CD collection, (and
> to mp3's if you like)

But to Flac?  That's what I'm ripping to.

> and add the track names and cover art for you
> without charging extra.

I suppose, then, that she can get the cover art with iTunes. I've
spent all my hours ripping (and editing countless mistakes out of the
ID3 tags that get pulled down from FreeDB).

> > I'm buying the mac because the Conservatory "requires it."
>
> Don't apologize - just learn to take best advantage of what it does.

> > I need the links because the music is going to be transferred
> > onto her iPod replace, a Cowon A3 PMP (which runs linux inside)
> > but the device does not deal with ID3 tags.  The link structure Dad's
> > "poorman" attempt to give her multiple views of the music
> > (by composer, by performer, etc.)
>
> Hmmm... It's hard to beat an ipod and itunes at what they do.

They can't play Flac, and an iPod does not tocuh a Cowon A3 in
audio quality (according to both the reviews and her ear.) and
the wonderful number of format, both video and audio, it can handle.

But you are right when it comes to the UI.

<snip
> > The transfer to the Mac is just an intermediate step so she
> > has a computer copy of the music.  She may use iTunes on it eventually,
> > but not for communicating with the PMP.
>
> If you get a network connection, you can use rsync -av to copy a whole
> tree including the symlinks.

This assumes I know how to set up networking on an Mac.
I don't even know how to turn it on and I'll have no time
to learn.  I have 48 hours in Chicago and it's the first day
of school for Freshman.

Dean