How to search the Fedora List

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Aug 20 22:55:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 14:33 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I just searched for "googlesmithing" with nothing fancy. Popped
>> right up.
>>
>> I am not trying to find googlesmithing on the web. I am trying to find
>> it (and more generally, any search term) strictly within the archives
>> of the fedora users list.
>
> I realize that, but my answer was in reply to a question as to why this
> specific term didn't show up, when it had been used recently on this
> list. IOW, the problem wasn't with Google not indexing the archive but
> with the search function being used.

As I recall, the 'googlesmithing' hits all came from other places on
the web that also publish old posts from this list, none from
redhat.com. So the question remains open.  I can search the entire web
and get plenty of noise. I can restrict the search to the 'official'
archive, but something (probably indexing) may prevent relevant posts
from becoming hits. Or I can restrict the search to a number of sites
that archive the list, in hopes of overcoming the indexing problem,
but then I will certainly get a large number of duplicate hits.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Wayne Feick <waf at brunz.org> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I mentioned MarkMail previously,
>

> I added markmail to my search bar, but because it is not limited to
> fedora users it is still not quite what I was hoping for.
>
> So I added a custom search page to google, now at
> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010141371145140104529:cq3811jfple
> (feel free to use it).
>
> Then I used the firefox add-on 'add to search bar' to add the search
> from that page to my search bar.
>
> Now I am so happy.
>
> Dave

Problem with this arrangement turns out to be, the results page
generated by this custom search does not have a link to advanced
search that would allow me to refine the search.

Does anyone know the search term for restricting dates? The only way I
know how to do it is to follow the advanced search link and use the
menu. Can't figure out the resulting URL, either.

Dave, not so happy after all