avahi-daemon issues cont.

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Aug 20 23:20:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 15:54 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> When avahi-daemon is started during booting, I get this message:
>
> Starting avahi daemon... Timeout reached while waiting for return value.
> Could not receive return value from daemon process.  FAILED
>
> Then the system comes up normally. According to system-config-services,
> avahi-daemon is enabled and dead.
>
> Fedora documentation says:
>
> Avahi is an implementation of zeroconf and is useful for detecting
> devices and services on local network without a DNS server. This is also
> the same as mDNS. Most users may have this disabled. Please note that in
> order to use the networked audio functionality of pulseaudio you will
> need Avahi enabled.
>
> I would like to use the networked audio functionality of pulseaudio --
> and in the process perhaps come to understand the black hole of
> pulseaudio itself :)  So any ideas as to how to get avahi-daemon working
> or at least how to troubleshoot this problem further?
>
> Thanks for the help! --Jerry

OK, after thrashing about for awhile I tried something "obvious":

root at PuteB Wed Aug 20 16:10:25
[199] /home/magnusg $ /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart
Shutting down Avahi daemon:                                [  OK  ]
Starting Avahi daemon...                                   [  OK  ]

which seems to work. But what's going on? Is the system starting
services in the wrong order? Do the other boxes on the network have to
be operational first for avahi-daemon to come up during booting?