HP 2133 Report

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 21 03:58:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 09:35 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> IMPRESSIONS
>
> It was hard to give it back to her.  That thing is useful!

I'm curious if you tested to see how long the battery lasted.  One of
the bugbears of any portable computing, is how long you can use the
thing for when you're not plugged into the mains.

My laptop manages about 2 hours, which isn't really enough.  It should
be able manage 3 hours (still not enough), but doesn't, not even when
using the original Windows installation.  You can probably stretch it to
about 2.5 hours, by dimming the screen way too much.  But that's not
really practical.  Nor is having a collection of swappable batteries,
apart from the weight and clutter, the charger can't charge a battery
outside of the computer.

It's a shame that portable computers don't really offer a way to
completely turn *off* some of hardware (optical drives, all the
networking circuitry, all the sound circuitry, etc.) as a configurable
battery-saving scheme.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686